Thursday, March 14, 2013

Love the Unloved

I'm starting this blog a few months before I journey to India for the third time. I want a place to share my fears and worries about this crazy 2-week trip to a foreign country a month before I get married, but I also want a place for inspiration to happen. I wrote this sentence while I was in India the first time and it still inspires me today: "...for all these children and people suffering in the streets, there has to be something more."

The idea that there is more for the poor of India led me back to volunteer in 2011 and will bring me once again to India this year. When I was in India in 2011, I became fascinated with Mother Teresa. She is an icon, an amazing woman and an inspiration to thousands, or perhaps millions. Her legacy lives on in the many charities the Sisters of Charity run in Kolkata, India and other cities around the world. As I continue to read more about her, skim through some of her books and google search "mother teresa quotes" again and again, the same theme keeps popping up: love those who are unloved.

There are opportunities to love those around us every day. So for this first blog, I want to encourage you to check out this TED talk I discovered a few weeks ago: Everyday Leadership. We have the opportunity to create something more for the people around us every day. We can make people feel loved by the most simple, forgettable actions. So, to end on a quote from Mother Teresa "...we can do small things with great love."

No comments:

Post a Comment